Fieldwork educator resources
VOTFWC is a consortium of occupational therapy programs in Virginia. Four times a year, the Council meets to present information and discussion about fieldwork supervision. Meetings are usually in Richmond and other facilities and schools around the state may participate through a conference call. FW supervisors and academic institutions share ideas and presentations.
Virginia Commonwealth University, James Madison University, Shenandoah University, Jefferson College of Health Sciences, and Radford University are the MSOT programs that participate. OTA program participation includes: Tidewater Community College, Jefferson College of Health Sciences, and Southwest Virginia Community College are the. For more information, contact Lauren Carter Smith email@example.com or Laura Evans firstname.lastname@example.org who are Co-chairs of the Council.
- Standard Operating Procedures for the VOTFWC
- Self-Assessment For Fieldwork Educators (SAFEcom)
How are your supervision skills? Are there areas you need to work on? Take this self-assessment tool and reflect on your skills. You can earn 1 PDU for NBCOT recertification by taking this self-assessment.
American Occupational Therapy Association. (2009). Self-Assessment Tool for Fieldwork Educator Competency.
- AOTA Fieldwork Educator Regional Certificate Workshops. These workshops are offered nationally and currently VCU Director of Fieldwork, Jayne Shepherd and the occupational therapy manager of Sheltering Arms Physical Rehabilitation Centers, Lauren Carter Smith are trainers for this AOTA course. If you are interested in sponsoring a course in your area, please contact Jayne at Jshepherd@vcu.edu.
- AOTA: The Value and Purpose of Fieldwork Education (2009)
- HIPAA Guidelines for Fieldwork
- Excellence in Fieldwork
- Fieldwork Forms
- Understanding the OT/OTA Fieldwork Performance Evaluation
- Supervision in Fieldwork
- Books, articles and other online resources about fieldwork education
- Many resources are also available from AOTA and other vendors. Some of these books are available at VCU for FW supervisors to borrow.
- Electronic Resource List for Fieldwork Educators
- Professional Development Credits (PDU) for NBCOT
The National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy (NBCOT) identifies fieldwork supervision as a professional development activity that may be used towards recertification. One (1) Professional Development Unit (PDU) per FW I student and 1 unit per 1 week of Fieldwork II supervision is awarded. Clinicians are able to collect a maximum of 18 units over a 3 year period for Fieldwork Supervision. Please see the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy (NBCOT) for more information.
Virginia Type 2 Continuing Education Activity for Virginia Board of Medicine
For Virginia therapists, supervising Fieldwork I or II students is a Type 2 Activity. For every hour of supervision, you receive one hour of Type 2 Activity. When renewing your Virginia license with the Department of Health Professions, Virginia Board of Medicine, you may have no more than 10 hours of Type 2 activities. Please see the Virginia Board of Medicine for more information.